Sunday, September 28, 2008

Processes

Everything is related to process - everything we do, we do according to a process. Sometimes these processes are not conscious; an example being of course things like digestion and normal, unaware, breathing. Just as it seems there are an infinite number of actions in the world, so there are an infinite number of processes. After all, a process is simply how one does something.

A problem arises, however, when people forget the variety that defines our world. Having worked retail and foodservice, I have seen firsthand the results of people being crammed into a process that does not fit them. It's like attempting to put on a too-small shirt made of flimsy material... first the seams split, then the fabric itself, and no one is left happy. The headdesk part of the situation though is the existence of millions of other shirts behind a door everyone ignores. Routine being comfortable, or at least convincingly difficult to get out of, the door of change and diversity remains firmly shut.

I'm guilty of this on a personal level - that's what this post stems from. I had it so set in my head the way I should write and what I should be doing (what process I was supposed to be working off of) that I, ultimately, paralyzed myself.

Luckily for me, I have a genius for my other half. While at dinner last night, Andy pointed out how I've been limiting myself.

The result was exultation and personal epiphany.

No comments: