Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Video Games and Achievement

Hiatus over. I just cannot stand not writing for that long (ugh, double negatives - been reading too much Faulker.)

While playing one of my plethora of video games, I realized that decent part of my enjoyment in this past time stems from the sense of accomplishment it gives me. This led me to reminiscing. I realized that while I have heard plenty from the "games are good" camp about them increasing hand-eye coordination and puzzle solving skills (both true), I have heard little about the positive image they can give one's self through accomplishment.

It seems that to be proud of one's abilities is in negative light among some groups nowadays. I have read several cases of honor rolls being disbanded because of one child doing better than another - and that other getting so upset that parents complained. To talk about, or even bring up, an accomplishment, be it physical, intellectual, or a combination is often viewed as arrogant or bragging. Meanwhile, accommodations and even rewards are given to those who cannot quite reach the bar. In this atmosphere, is it any wonder that anything that gives a sense of doing something right will bring throngs of business, as video games have done?

Video games reward. There are points, unlockables, levels, things you have to work for. Sure, there are cheat codes, but they are more often for sheer absurd fun - and never quite give the same warm glow that doing it yourself does. While multi-player is the most obvious arena for proving one's skill, single-player games have their merits as well. That sense of reward, of accomplishment, is what drives players to complete 100% of a game, or keep trying that tough level over and over again until they beat it. It's what keeps us coming back - if a game is too easy, I assure you it will not get near as much game time.

Gamers develop patience, creative thinking, coordination, reflexes and more because of this sense of accomplishment. It's like the way children learn at an early age - not because they have to, but because it is fun and because they earn the sense of pride that should come with any accomplishment. This sense of pride is not a bad thing. It is an essential component of our nature, what keeps us striving to be better than ourselves.

I have lost track of the number of gamer goals I have set for myself over the years. More often that not, they are things that have no tangible value but, rather, are connected in my mind with achieving something. However, no tangible value does not mean valueless. Through my gaming, I have learned how to set reasonable goals for myself and learned how to be proud of myself without being obnoxious - after all, no one wants to play with a gloater. I have learned how to budget my time and that, sometimes, the things we want will not come easy - a lesson, I think, that is disappearing.

Ultimately, that is the real value. Pushing yourself and enjoying yourself - it's no coincidence that video games hold much of the same positive traits as sports, martial arts, or difficult crafts and arts. They may be games, and often seen as a "worthless" way to spend time, but their lessons become even more deeply embedded because of the fun in them. Just don't tell the kiddies that the video games are good for them.

Taking this a step further, and a bit away from video games, could attempting to gain a sense of accomplishment not be the reason so many of our youth are embroiled in gangs and other unhealthy behavior? If you are not getting a sense of pride from home or school, would you not seek it elsewhere - somewhere with ranks and trials? All of my literature study suggests that people have an innate need to believe in something, to attach themselves to whatever it is that makes them feel accomplished or virtuous. This applies to religion, to nationalism, to any and all of the revolutionary causes. People get caught up in things larger than themselves because it is so easy to feel small - after all an individual in this world is but one of 6.7 billion (the current guesstimate is 6,707,035,007) and it seems that all that can be done either has been or is being done. It's a daunting thought.

No comments: